GoodWheat Spinach and Artichoke Focaccia
For the Focaccia
- 1 ⅓ cup Warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 package Active dry yeast
- 3 ½ cups GoodWheat Flour
- ⅓ and ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
For the Topping
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Yellow onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, finely chopped
- 10 oz. Frozen spinach, thawed
- 14 oz. Canned artichokes, chopped
- 8 oz. Cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
Method of Preparation
- In a Kitchen Aid mixing bowl, whisk together warm water, sugar and active dry yeast. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until mixture becomes foamy on the top.
- Using a hook attachment, put mixer on low and gradually add flour, salt and 1/3 cup olive oil and let mix for 1 minute.
- Increase speed on mixer gradually for 5 minutes until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. If dough remains sticky, add flour in 1 tablespoon intervals until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Let mix for 2 more minutes.
- Remove dough from hook and shape into a ball.
- Place inside of a bowl, covered with plastic wrap and let proof somewhere warm for 1-2 hours until dough has doubled in size.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a floured surface.
- Using a wooden rolling pin, roll dough out until it is half an inch thick.
- Place on a parchment lined tray, cover with plastic wrap and let proof for another hour in a warm place.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Remove plastic wrap from dough and using your fingers, punch holes in the dough. Pour ¼ cup of olive oil over dough and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place in oven and let cook for 18 minutes until bread begins to turn light brown.
Spinach Artichoke Topping
- While bread is cooking, in a large sauté pan over high heat, add butter, onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Squeeze all the water out of the spinach and artichokes and add to the sauté pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn heat on low and add cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, salt and pepper. Cook until cheese has completely melted.
- Remove the bread from the oven after 18 minutes and top with spinach and artichoke mixture. Spread evenly on bread and put back in oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Cut into 8 equal slices.