GoodWheat Fettuccini Carbonara
For the Fettuccini Dough
- 2 cups + ¼ cup GoodWheat Flour
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Eggs, whole, large
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
For the Carbonara
- 4 ounces Pancetta, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Eggs, whole
- 3 Egg, yolks
- 1 cup + ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, ground
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
Method of Preparation
To Make the Fettuccini Dough
- In a medium sized kitchen aid bowl with a hook attachment, add 2 cups of GoodWheat Flour, olive oil, eggs and kosher salt. Mix together on low speed until a shaggy dough begins to form.
- Pour contents of the mixer out onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic when pinched, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes. The dough can be made a day ahead of time and chilled in the fridge.
- Cut dough ball into four pieces and press into a rectangle.
- Using the pasta attachment on a kitchen aid and pass the dough through level 1 two times. Turn the knob to level 2 and pass the pasta sheet through one time. Repeat process and stop after completing level 5 (This will be level 6 on a hand crack). If pasta sheet folds over while passing through the attachment, pass through again before moving on to the next level.
- Switch the pasta attachment to the Fettuccini attachment. Take one sheet of pasta and cut in half. Run one half through the fettuccini attachment and put on a parchment line sheet tray. Sprinkle with GoodWheat Flour to keep from sticking.
- Repeat with all pasta sheets.
To Make the Carbonara
- Heat an 8-quart pot with water and bring to a bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 cup of parmesan cheese and black pepper together. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan over high heat, add the pancetta and let cook for 3 minutes, stirring half-way through. Add garlic and stir again (at this point you should drop your pasta into the boiling water). Let pancetta and garlic cook for 2 more minutes.
- Shake the excess flour off of fettuccini and add to boiling water.
- Boil for 2 minutes until al dente, stirring with a fork half-way through.
- Drain pasta and reserve ¼ cup of pasta water.
- Immediately drop fettuccini in the pan with pancetta and garlic. Saute together for one minute and remove from heat. Let cool for 30 seconds.
- Spread the fettuccini out evenly in the pan so there are no gaps revealing the bottom of the pan.
- Add the egg mixture over the pasta and toss very quickly to coat. This will prevent the egg from scrambling in the pan. If coating is very thick, add 1 TBS of pasta water until mixture has thinned slightly over pasta.
- Garnish with parsley and additional parmesan.