GoodWheat Blueberry Lemon Pie
For the Crust
- 2 cups GoodWheat Flour
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Granulated sugar
- 1 stick Cold Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Cold Vegetable Shortening
- ½ cup Ice Cold Water
For the Filling
- 2 lbs Blueberries, rinsed and dried
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- ⅔ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1 Egg
- 1 TBS Water
Method of Preparation
To Make the Pie Crust
- In a food processor with the blade attachment, add GoodWheat Flour, kosher salt and granulated sugar together. Pulse 3 times to combine.
- Add cold unsalted butter and cold vegetable shortening and pulse until dough resembles wet sand.
- Slowly add cold water while pulsing and continue pulsing until loose dough forms.
- Pour the contents of the food processor out onto the counter and form into a dough ball.
- Cut in half and flatten each piece into a disk.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.
To Make the Filling
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, cornstarch, granulated sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Assembling the Pie
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and water.
- Remove pie crust from the fridge and place on a floured surface, roll each disk to 13 inches in diameter. Lay one disk into the pie pan and gently press the dough into the pie pan.
- Pour the blueberry mixture into the pie crust.
- Lay the second pie dough disk on top and gently press the edges into the rim of the pan.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the excess pie dough hanging over the rim. In the middle of the pie, draw an X using the tip of the knife to release steam.
- Using a fork, press gently around the rim of the pie. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of the pie with the egg wash.
- Bake the pie for 55 minutes at 375°F. One golden brown on top and the edges are crisp, remove from the oven. Let cool for 2 hours before serving .